Saturday, August 15, 2009

To a Soldier, Young and Proud

Who gives thought to the soldiers,
The weapons of the war,
They may well end up dying,
Yet may not know what for.
In service to their country,
They're sent to foreign lands,
They do not have the right of choice,
It's taken out their hands.

Who gives thought to the families,
The wives, the daughters, sons,
Whose lives will never be the same,
Without beloved ones.
Who helps to ease their heartbreak,
Gives comfort when they cry,
Who takes the time to tell them,
Why daddy had to die.

Who gives thought to the soldiers,
To those who do come home,
To what they've seen and been through,
Wherever they did roam.
To how they've lost their comrades,
Have seen their close friends fall,
We should all know for certain,
They're heroes, one and all.

"Soldiers"
by Golden Hamilton

Tonight's blog is the third and last written for soon to depart (or already departed) young people at my church. Tonight, I blog for one of the bravest and strongest young women I have ever had the honor of knowing. Angela Hoyle, or I guess I should say, PFC Holye, is an amazingly courageous young lady who has chosen to serve her country in the armed forces. But, what makes Angela such a special young lady is not simply her great bravery but also her beauty. She is the proverbial "steel magnolia" of the South, capable of showing tender emotion while in the next minute tearing your head off if you threaten those she loves. Over the past few years, I have watched Angela grow up, fall away from her faith, and then return to it. As I listened to how she arrived at her recent rededication to her faith, I was moved to tears about a young woman capable of showing the strength and character of a Ruth while showing the tenderness of Mary. Very simply, Angela Hoyle is a very beautiful rose with thorns.

What I enjoy most about Angela, and have for years as she has grown up, is her tendency to be unconventional. Angela is a square peg and isn't going to fit into round holes anytime soon. She is an independent person capable of making her own decisions. And, over the past few months, I have been encouraged to watch as she has truly enjoyed her decision to serve in the armed forces. For years, I watched Angela as she cast about for who she was and what she wanted to become. To say I was surprised when I heard she wanted to become a soldier would be a vast understatement. I was actually shocked! But, then, as I thought about who Angela is and who she will become, I knew that this was truly the path that this young woman needed to tread. There are many types of courage and many ways to show that courage. Angela is truly lion-hearted to me. And she fears very little.

When she explained to me why she had chosen this path, I understood immediately that she had chosen wisely and would not only be a great soldier, but an exceptional soldier. Naturally, all of us who know and love her fear for her safety because this world is not a safe one for the soldier whether they be in Iraq or Afghanistan. But, the Bible offers us all words of encouragement when we read in Isaiah "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed for I am thy God I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness" (41:10). No matter where we go, how far away it seems from home and family, our God is with us. And I know that he will be with Angela and will protect her as she goes into harms way. I found comfort in knowing that she is in the hands of a loving God who will lead and guide her in the right ways and will hedge around her with protection. This is not to say we will not fear for her because we will. We love her and are going to miss her. But as with Jordan and Nikki, we are proud to see who she has become and the bright future she has ahead of her.

So, Angela is my soldier hero. I wish her all of God's blessings as she begins her new vocation. These words of wisdom I will share with her. No matter where you go, remember to read your Bible daily and contemplate what God shows us through his scriptural inspiration. Pray without ceasing because God heeds and hears our prayers. Even though we sometimes doubt that He hears, the very fact is that He is always ready to commune with us if we take the time to commune with Him. Remember to find yourself a place to worship wherever you are, whether that be the chaplaincy of your base or another church, it is important to have that community of believers around you. And remember in all that you do to honor the God that you profess and serve. I love you very much! Please know that you will always be in my thoughts and prayers.

No comments: