Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sometimes There Are Pleasant Surprises

For a while now, I have struggled with bitterness, a bitterness created by others and out of my control. It has been a true struggle and that struggle is not over yet. When those you care about hurt you badly it takes time to heal. Yes, you heal; and, yes, you survive, but it changes you in myriads of ways and although you can forgive, you never truly forget. When people pass you in church and refuse to look at you, it makes you question if you can worship in such an atmosphere. But then, along comes inspiration from above, an unlooked for moment when someone provides encouragement when you need it most. My encourager caught me unawares yesterday and raised my spirits and helped renew my flagging faith.

My encourager was a young man who truly has more faith than many older Christians who have been in the church for years. And I fear that may sum up the problem with the church in this modern age. Where has our courage gone? Where has our thirst for truth gone? I believe we are too comfortable. But lest I digress into bitterness, let me say that in less than thirty minutes, this very young Christian had reminded me that regardless of how people act and react in the church that I am there to worship and serve God. If others choose to treat the opportunity to worship as an opportunity to be social, or to see and be seen, that is not my concern. God has a work for me to do. I believe that in due time he will accomplish that will and this young man was able to remind me of all of that with his fervor in his faith. I tip my hat to this young man and thank him for doing something that I believe God was prompting him to do. He likely had no idea that he was sent in that fashion, but nevertheless he was used to encourage me. So, Tony Wing, I thank you for who and what you have become and for taking a moment out of a day to make mine so much brighter!

No comments: