Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Joy of Friendship

Today has been a good day. Not because I have done lots of things (I haven't!). And not because I have felt particularly great (because I haven't!). But despite having a late summer head cold, this has been a great day! My day started awaking early because of "snotitis". I didn't know the nasal passages could create that much stuff. Wonder if you could sell it for the purposes of laboratory research? *he he*

I got myself up out of bed and got ready for church. I particularly enjoyed playing the organ today. Maybe it was the cold medicine induced euphoria but I did enjoy it. The special singing was one of my favorite songs. And the preacher did have a wonderful message that all of us need to take more to heart. Sometimes it is very difficult to love as we should. Let's face it folks, human beings are not always the most lovable of creatures! But it was a good lesson and I look forward to more of it because it will be good for us to re-learn this important element of our Christianity.

Following church, I gathered with some of my truly best friends for lunch at Bogart's in Waynesville. There were nine of us all together and it made my day! No matter how I feel, how down in the dumps, whatever, these people ALWAYS lift my spirits. And that is what is so good about having friends, people that you truly care for and love. To be a friend, at least to me, is to give completely of myself. To be there in the ups and in the downs, in the good times and in the worst of times, in the fun times and in the not so fun times. In short, friendship is about allowing yourself to be loved and to love in return. And when that gift is given freely, I believe you evidence the love of God in its purest of forms, the agape love spoken of in the Bible. It is a love given, not because it is necessarily deserved, but because you want to give it. It makes you feel good to give it. That kind of love is transformative in your life because it serves as a solid post in the storms of life, a rallying point to hold on to through the toughest parts of our daily lives.

So, in short, it is friendship and the love of great friends that has made my day truly blessed!

No comments: